Friday, January 18, 2008

Sick Baby...

**Warning not for the weak of stomach**
Well as most of you know, Athen has been sick since Tuesday... When I say "sick" I mean bad diapers... So he had one at day care, no big deal... and then when we went to church for our Gospel Meeting he had another "blow out" so bad that we couldn't stay. I had to come straight home and straight to the bath tub... Well I just thought it was his teeth he has a PILE coming in... Still, no biggie....
Well then Wednesday rolls around... By 9:00am Day care called, Athen had gone again, two more times in an hours time.... Mrs. Carolyn (that's the lady that takes such great care of my little man) she was a bit worried cause by now it was "watery" and had a terrible smell to it (note the warning above...) so off the doctor we went... Just me and Athen, thus far I have not had to take him on my own... he really isn't a sick baby so... here we go... Well come to find out the Doctor isn't there and its a new PA (not happy) so... she thought it was a virus or just could be from an ear infection that he seem to have (she wasn't so sure cause she really couldn't look that well in his ear cause his "stranger anxiety" kicked and he DID NOT like that lady and screamed!) so.... wrote a Rx and off we go... I didn't take him back to day care. Came home and this diapers only got worse! Oh the smell... the only way I know to descrip it (cause I know ya want me to) is... DEATH it smelled like Death...
Well... as the day went on and Huggies Stock rose, I noticed a little bit of blood in his diaper... alarmed I called Dr Debbie (aka my mom) we came to the conclusion that is was probably just from him going so much and no real cause for alarm...
Thursday morning came, we got up and got dressed... off to daycare and work, Made it 9:30! Phone rings, its Mrs. Carolyn, again... More blood and TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE AWFUL smell... Off I go... Got Athen and armed with my mom this time we go to the doctor... (oh I left the best part out, when I called the doctor to see what to do, they told me to bring the diaper with me... yeah!) After waiting at the doctor's office for what seemed like forever with a sick, tired, one year old... Doctor came in, we talked... she went off to test his diaper... sure enough - blood and a bit of it... enough for it not to be "normal" for just an upset tummy. That along with the HORRIBLE smell, she told us it was either.... salmonella or shigella. Both are similar bacteria’s...
We won't know for sure until Tuesday (Monday being a "holiday") so... if its salmonella, no treatment - run its course. If its shigella - treatment, antibiotic. At this point I should be freaking out... but for some reason I am rather calm... Odd cause in my mine I usually go to "worse case sanario" but I'm ok. I think he is going to be just fine. He acts fine. He is for the most part his happy self... He isn't eating as good as he usually does, but other than that and seems to sleep a little more... all is well...
So, with all that said - Please Pray that Athen will have a full recovery... WE don't like staying home! =)
I will keep everyone posted on how he is doing...

1 comment:

Adawk said...

Hope he feels better and everything is ok.